Abraham’s Journey of Faith – CAC Living Water Devotional
CHRIST APOSTOLIC CHURCH
THE LIVING WATER DAILY DEVOTIONAL
Friday, May 21, 2021
TOPIC: ABRAHAM’S JOURNEY OF FAITH
Read Genesis 12:1-4
MEMORISE: So Abram departed as the Lord had spoken to him, and Lot went with him. And Abram was seventy-five years old when he departed from Haran (Genesis 12:4)
Verse 4 of this chapter implies that Abraham was called by God, not while he was in Ur, but while in Haran. His journey from Ur to Haran was driven by Terah his father: ‘And Terah took his son Abram and his grandson Lot.. from Ur of the Chaldeans to go to the land of Canaan; and they came to Haran and dwelt there’ (Gen.11:31).
It was a big decision for a man who sprang up from a traditional society like Ur to leave his homeland and family, unlike the mobile, individualistic culture of our own day. Interestingly, today is World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development. For Abraham, it was like been totally uprooted, risking everything he held most dearly to obey God’s call. Look at these following stages in his journeying and learn from them, because Christ has challenged you to venture everything to follow him:
- From the Ur of idolatry to the Haran of compromise (11:31).
- From the Haran of compromise to the Canaan of blessing (12:4,5).
- From the Canaan of blessing and the “Moreh” of conflict to the Bethel of prayer (12:6-8).
- From the Bethel of prayer to the “going and journeying” to “the south” of bordering on the Egypt of the world, and to the Egypt of straitening (12:9-20).
- From the Egypt of backsliding to the Bethel of restoration (13:1-4).
- From the Bethel of restoration to the Hebron of fellowship (13:18).
As you recount your journey of faith, probably with some experiences of straying back to Egypt, were you able to trace your footsteps back to Bethel? Are you enjoying fellowship with Christ at Hebron where you are now? Remember, that is only preparing you for the fellowship in Heaven!
- Pray that the Lord will uphold you in your journey of faith until the very end.
- Pray that you will not miss the perfect fellowship with Christ and the Saints in heaven.
- Pray for missionaries as they deal with cultural diversities on the field, to be able to overcome the culture shocks and lead many to Christ.
EXTRA READING FOR TODAY: 1 Kings 7:26 – 8:38; John 5:15 – 5:36
Author: C.A.C WORLDWIDE