I Am Not Ashamed of The Gospel – CAC Living Water Devotional
THE LIVING WATER DAILY DEVOTIONAL
Monday, May 17, 2021
TOPIC: I AM NOT ASHAMED OF THE GOSPEL
Read Romans 1:1-17
1 Paul, a bondservant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated to the gospel of God
2 which He promised before through His prophets in the Holy Scriptures,
3 concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, who was born of the seed of David according to the flesh,
4 and declared to be the Son of God with power according to the Spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead.
5 Through Him we have received grace and apostleship for obedience to the faith among all nations for His name,
6 among whom you also are the called of Jesus Christ;
7 To all who are in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.
9 For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of His Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers,
10 making request if, by some means, now at last I may find a way in the will of God to come to you.
11 For I long to see you, that I may impart to you some spiritual gift, so that you may be established—
12 that is, that I may be encouraged together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me.
13 Now I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that I often planned to come to you (but was hindered until now), that I might have some fruit among you also, just as among the other Gentiles.
14 I am a debtor both to Greeks and to barbarians, both to wise and to unwise.
15 So, as much as is in me, I am ready to preach the gospel to you who are in Rome also. 16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, a for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.
17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.”
For l am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek (Romans 1:16)
Wise people believe that there are some things that are even more shameful than theft. In these opening verses of Paul’s letter to the Romans, he used the word “gospel” five times, and in the fourth time of it, he said: ‘I am not ashamed of the gospel’. Whenever Paul reflected on his past, he found many things that he would have been ashamed of. For instance, he would have surely been ashamed of giving approval to the killing of Stephen and guarding the clothes of his killers (Acts 22:20). He was definitely ashamed of spending his youthful age persecuting the Church of Christ. Refusing to allow John, Mark to go with him on his second missionary journey, simply because, he had deserted him and Barnabas at Pamphylia, is another area of his obvious regret. No wonder, later in his ministry, he asked Timothy to bring the same Mark with him when he (Timothy) was coming to see him (2 Tim. 4:11). He would have been ashamed of so many things, but definitely NOT the gospel! Why? Because of its Power and Purpose.
- It has the Power to Save lives. Paul says of it, ‘It is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes…’ God has no other plan for the salvation of mankind than the gospel of Christ (1 Cor. 15:2).
- It has the Power to Change lives. A man confessed that he once bought a panel beaten Volkswagen Santana car that almost ruined him financialy! It had an attractive body but unknown to him, it was ‘terminally ill!’ The gospel of Christ doesn’t panel-beat, or counterfeit people, it changes them, positively, making them new (2 Cor. 5:17).
- It has the power to heal people. To heal physically, emotionally, rationally, and spiritually (1 Thess. 1:5). It is so sad to see how this same gospel is being commercialised in some churches and denominations. If we make a mockery of the gospel, Jesus says He will be ashamed of us on the day of glory (Mk. 8:38)
- Praise the Lord for the power of the gospel.
- Pray for the grace to be a true messenger of the gospel.
- Pray that every unrepentant enemy of the gospel of Christ in this nation would crash, regardless of their affluence and influence.
EXTRA READING FOR TODAY:
2 Sam. 24:12-24:25; 1 Kings 1:1-1:50; John 3:17-4:2
Author: CAC WORLDWIDE