The Tripod of Marital Love – CAC Living Water Devotional
THE LIVING WATER DAILY DEVOTIONAL GUIDE
Saturday, May 15, 2021.
TOPIC: THE TRIPOD OF MARITAL LOVE
Read Matthew 22:37-39
37 Jesus said to him, “ ‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’
38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’
Jesus said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all Your mind” (Matthew 22:37)
Love should be the primary foundation of any marriage because, it is a crucial and critical factor to the success of any marriage. Love is so important that if you don’t really love each other, your marriage will be a disaster. In a situation whereby there is no mutual love, marriage becomes unbearable, full of pretencce, and can lead to family disintegration. Our Lord Jesus reveals the true power of love; to love the Lord with all your heart, all your soul and with your entire mind. This is the tripod on which true love stands:
- Love with all your heart: This is Agape love. Love that protects and saves (Eph. 5:25; Jn. 3:16).
- Love with all your soul: This is ‘Phileo’. Love that cares, that builds relationship, brotherly love, family love, supportive love (Prov. 18:24; Matt. 22:39).
- Love with your entire mind. This is ‘Eros’. A romantic, sexual and mutual love (Prov. 5:15, 19; Eccl. 9:9)
This three legged support of love must be present and work together all the time in our marriages. Any marriage that is not being supported by this tripod, but on two or just one would not stand the test of time. Let us love like God, without sentiment, to save our relationships and build for the future.
The truth about this clear message instruction from Jesus Christ is that no one can truly love unless such a loving experience begins with loving God. Partners cannot have perfect, absolute and undivided love from one another except each of them loves God. Start this experience with God and you would not only love your spouse but even the enemies.
- Lord, let Your love rule in our marriages and families.
- Lord, let me and my spouse learn to love each other as Christ loves the Church.
- Lord, let all parents receive the grace to live in love with their children.
EXTRA READING FOR TODAY:
2 Samuel 20:22-22:37; John 1:49-2:19
Author: CAC WORLDWIDE